Monday, July 21, 2008

What's Love Got to Do With It?

Tina Turner's 1993 hit "What's Love Got to Do With It" was her most popular and successful single, becoming her first number-one hit in the United States. The lyrics are thought-provoking, especially as they relate to the polyamory lifestyle.

"What's Love Got To Do With It"
You must understand
That the touch of your hand
Makes my pulse react
That it`s only the thrill
Of boy meeting girl
Opposites attract
It`s physical
Only logical
You must try to ignore
That it means more than that
[Chorus]
Oh what's love got to do, got to do with it
What`s love but a second hand emotion
What`s love got to do, got to do with it
Who needs a heart
When a heart can be broken
It may seem to you
That I`m acting confused
When you`re close to me
If I tend to look dazed
I`ve read it someplace
I`ve got cause to be
There`s a name for it
There`s a phrase that fits
But whatever the reason
You do it for me
[Bridge]
I`ve been thinking of a new direction
But I have to say
I`ve been thinking about my own protection
It scares me to feel this way
[Chorus]
What`s love got to do, got to do with it
What`s love but a sweet old fashioned notion
What`s love got to do, got to do with it
Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken


On the one hand, many people in the poly lifestyle say that it's okay to have sex with multiple partners, but those partners should be someone we are in love with. Sex should not be separated from love. Most swingers, however, say that it's okay to have sex with multiple partners, but people are emotionally monogamous. In other words, sex with multiple partners is okay, but you should only love one person. As for me personally, I fall somewhere in between a swinger and being poly. I believe it is perfectly okay to love and have sex with multiple partners. But I question whether or not one has to be in love with someone in order to have sex with them, although I do believe that all sex should be honest, responsible, and respectful. That's my opinion. What's yours? The comment button is below.


Create a Meebo Chat Room

No comments: